Saturday, September 4, 2010

Triathlon or Bust

My friend told me about a little triathlon that our stake was putting on the other day. They wanted it to be a family friendly thing, so they dropped the distance on all the events. I have always thought it would be fun(ish) to do a triathlon, but too intimidated to ever do one. I had one days notice - so no time to get really nervous and change my mind- so I called up some friends ( be grateful you were sick Kate) and we decided to give it a go.

So Anna, you wonderful girl, and I went over to the community pool early this morning to see if we really wanted to sign up. After looking at the routs we decided to try, and if we dropped out no one had to know. Everyone was really nice and it was super low key. We all laughed about how we didn't know how to swim, although I think I was the only one who really didn't have any technique which was made know to me when Gracie yelled out " start swimming for reals now Mom!" I survived the swim and jumped on my bike. It was all peachy until we hit the head wind for the last 4 miles. My bike kept popping out of the easy gear, so I got a little added exercise. I kept pushing on encouraged by my family who drove by to cheer me on. Once I hit the running, I thought I was done for, but my goal was to not walk so I kept on running about as fast as other people were walking. ( sheesh, I was tired) I hit the last part of the run and realized I couldn't hear my cheering section. I guess I was going a little faster than I thought because Evan hadn't even made it to the finish line, because he thought it would be a while before I made it there. Oh well, I finished and actually had a good time. I think I will do more in the future....although I may change my mind tomorrow.

3 comments:

Janey said...

that's awesome Jo!!! I've been trying to find a triathalon that's short short like that to try--how exciting! Can I do the next one with you???

On that note...coming to utah next week, can we pa-lease get together??? 12-18th i'll be in town!

Loves!

Jenna said...

Sounds like you had an awesome summer...what a good mommy you are! You've been without your husband, huh? Tough stuff!

Suzette said...

You go girl! I love Gracie's "encouragement."