Monday, September 13, 2010

Some days are just dead fly days...

This morning I got home from the gym and headed straight for my water bottle. Later as I was cleaning up the kitchen I noticed there was a dead fly floating in my water bottle. My first thought was, SIIIIICK a dead fly in my water bottle! Then I thought, did I DRINK that water while the fly was in my water bottle? Finally I thought about my seventh grade health class when I was introduced to the P and P factor ( yep, poop and puke ) which is apparently what flies do every 5 seconds. My thoughts then returned to SICK!!! That pretty much set up my day for me.

The other day, while I was taking out my contact it tore in half. I got part of it out, but the other part was stuck in there. I mean really stuck! I had a friend come over to see if she could get it out. I tried flushing it out with a water bottle, not the one mentioned above. Nothing worked. It was in there over the weekend. Well, it finally came out, but I needed to have the eye doctor make sure I got all of it out and check my eye for scratches. So I headed to the doctor who made sure my eye was okay, and I got a cute new pair of glasses out of the visit. You can't really complain about that.

Then I thought it would be a neat family homely to take my kids to the moving wall, which is a replica of the veterans memorial in D.C. We gathered the kiddos and talked about the war and how so many people have died so we could enjoy the freedoms we have today. The kids were all prepped and ready to go. When we got there at 7, we found out they took it down at 4! Yup, my mind returned to the dead fly in my water bottle and what a day it had been. It did turn out okay since our cemetery has a memorial set up for veterans from this area. I think the kids got the message we were trying to portray. Then we spent time walking through the cemetery and talking about the lives of people who have passed away. It was a nice evening. So the day did have some "dead fly" moments, but in the end it all turned out okay.

5 comments:

Jenna said...

Oh, wow, that's an awesome story!

laura said...

the fly story is hilarious! Thanks for sharing ;)

Suzette said...

So funny. What a great day. Kind of like my chocolate devotion day--only oops, that was way yummier than your fly water.

McArthurs said...

Jod, i quit checking your blog cuz you never posted anything for a long time. Now there's like 3 or 4 new posts. Yay! SOunds like your summer was hectic, crazy and fun. That's way sweet that you were able to do a triathlon! I'm jealous. I want to so bad, but i also don't know how to swim for reals, and they do the triathlon's here in the lake, which means i'd for sure drowned. Someday though, i'm either gonna learn how to swim real, or do one where they have the swimming part in a pool, so that i can touch when i need to, (or maybs just walk a little of it in the pool.) HAHA Your fly in the water bottle story was sick. I'd want to puke.

Tyler and ShaeLee May said...

Gross! I hate flies. Your kids are adorable. Do you live in the East?