Sunday, February 20, 2011

Women of Service

During our lesson at church today, they were talking about service. We went through the scriptures and talked about women who gave service and then we focused on the Savior's life and all that He did for us. I started thinking of the examples of service I have had in my life.

When my aunt was two years old, she got a rare virus that basically "ate up" her brain, causing severe brain damage. She had to be cared for as a baby would for her entire life. She lived to be in her 40s. I watched as my grandparents sacrificed daily to care for her. They never complained and they always showed a great amount of love for her. Not only did they have this daughter, but they also had a daughter who was diagnosed with MS. Her case was very severe, and she also had to be cared for around the clock. I feel that I was able to witness something very special in the love and service they gave their daughters, and I will be forever grateful for their example.

My other grandmother died when I was very young. I do remember her as someone who was quite stern and no nonsense. I also knew that there were people who loved her very deeply. When I was in YW's there was a guest invited to come speak to us. The lesson was on service. As she began talking I was touched that the person she said she wanted to be like was my grandma. She talked about how she was someone who truly "rejoiced with those who rejoiced, and mourned with those that mourned." The lady said in all the years they lived in the same town my grandma never missed a funeral or a wedding reception. That was her way of showing she truly cared about the people in her community. As I have grown older, I have heard precious stories of how my grandma would take someone "under her wing" and give them love and encouragement when it was needed most.

I feel so grateful for these wonderful examples of service and love and hope that in some small way I can continue on their legacy.

3 comments:

Suzette said...

I'm grateful for them too.

Amy said...

wow! I really like to hear stories about grandma Gee since I never knew her. And Grandma and Grandpa Gee were (and are) so incredible and inspiring. Thanks for posting so much lately!! Love you Jodi!

Heather said...

Jodi, I read your post today and cried! You are such an example to me in so many ways and you are a woman of service. I can't thank you enough for your friendship and willingness to help me out. You are the best!