Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Crash

So we got in a bit of a car accident on Monday the 19. We were on our way home from shopping for house decorations when traffic slowed pretty fast. I was able to stop okay and so was the car behind me. After I saw the car behind me had stopped, I didn't really pay attention to what was going on behind me. About 30 seconds later, we were hit really hard out of the blue. Our car hit the car in front of us, and we spun around until we hit the car who had hit us the first time and our car finally stopped-facing the opposite direction. Talk about a moment of panic ( and at the same time relief ) because the kids were screaming. At least if they were screaming they were alive! I got out of the car to get my kids out, but the doors on my side of the car were jammed. One of the cars who saw the accident thought our car was on fire and they could hear the kids screaming, so it took about 2 seconds for people to run over and pull the kids out of the car. Everyone was shaken, but we came away with some whiplash, bumps on the head, and popped blood vessels. The other two cars involved had to take people to the hospital, so we were VERY aware of how blessed and lucky we were. The car that hit us didn't see that traffic was stopping, so they swerved to miss the car behind me and lost control of their car and hit us in the back left corner, Gracie, thankfully, was sitting in the back right side of the car. I think this is were we hit the car in front of us.
We thought this picture was a little funny, not only for the look on my face, but also because I am taller than the car. When I first saw it, I didn't even think it was ours because it looked so small. The rear axle is broken.


This shows where we took the impact from the other car. Yup, all my new house decorations were in the back and flew out the car when the window broke. I think Evan was a little relieved because he ended up not liking what I bought, but to his dismay, I found that a little hot glue and some nails go a long way. I also told him the antique look is in, so it is okay that all our stuff is chipped and scratched! It was a little funny when I went to hand him one of the decorations and he looked at me confused and asked why I was bringing the muffler home. Wow! What does that say about my taste in decorations??


Once I finally got a look at the car that hit us, I noticed our bumper was sticking out of his mangled engine. You can't see it in this picture but the back seat was shoved forward, so our back seats didn't line up.


Well, we got the final word that our car is a total loss, so now we will begin the process of finding a new car. Ashley, doesn't it seem like yesterday you were bringing over fudge for our "car-warming" gift? Evan really has a lot of love for that car. He feels like it did a good job to protect our little family.




8 comments:

Camille said...

Wow!! I am so glad you guys are okay! That is so scary. I have always feared being in an accident and the fear has only grown since I have kids. I'm glad you had guardian angels!

Heather said...

what a crazy accident. i'm so glad y'all were okay. way to salvage the decorations.

ashley said...

Uggghhhh, the car search AGAIN!! Hey, I'll be sending more fudge. So be ready!! :o)

I'm so glad you guys are okay. How scary. And the kids.......wow, so glad they are all okay. Keep us posted.

And the muffler? Even don't you know beauty??

Tiffani Warner said...

Holy cow! I am so afraid of getting in an accident. I can't believe those pictures. You are so lucky! glad you are all ok.

McArthurs said...

Oh my gosh Jod, that's freaky! I'm so happy that you're all ok. Good luck car shopping. :)

Luke, Brittny, and Wyatt said...

Wow! Car accidents are scary! I'm glad you all are okay. Have fun shopping for a new car!

Devin and Megan said...

crazy girl!
I am so glad y'all are ok!!
email me at mswimf@gmail.com so I can add you to our blog :)

Tyler and ShaeLee May said...

Oh my Gosh! That is so scary. I seriously hope I never get in a car wreck with kids in the car. So scary! I'm so glad you and the kids are okay. And you're totally right, the antique look is in!